Friday, October 7, 2011

The Show Must Go On...

It's not everyday you bring a company back from the brink of bankruptcy. Not everyday you revolutionize the music industry. Not everyday you concur major corporations. It's not everyday you change the world.

Of course, this was apparently the everyday life for one of the most visionary men of our time, Steve Jobs. Where would the world be without him? We would still be clicking away at our ancient MP3 Players, tediously working on our never reliable PC computers, and as for phones?! Don't even get me started. We would be stuck with the horrifying quality of the dreaded Blackberry. Note there is heavy sarcasm. 

Seriously, the guy was a pretty good marketer; he certainly brought Apple up from the shadows of death. But people talk about him like he was a saint or something. They literally worshiped him. Why? I'm sure if not for Apple some other company would have advanced us this far too. Maybe not in the same way, but even before the huge growth of the company our technology was advancing. 

Think about it. 
  • Did Apple invent portable music players? No. 
  • Did Apple invent the first smartphone? No. 
  • Did Apple first introduce touch screen? Again, no.  
Now I won't deny that Steve Jobs and Apple have changed the way we live, but the world doesn't revolve around them. Literally. I'm content with my Blackberry, I rather adore my PC and to be honest I don't even own an iPod. Call me biased, but people put way too much power in to one man. 

That being said, I am sad to hear of his death. I do feel for his family and those close to him (pretty much everyone can relate) but I am also sad to hear if a milkman dies from Kentucky, or something random like that. I’m not insensitive; I just don't understand this emotional attachment the world seems to have for Apple and the now deceased co-founder. 

I pay my respects to the man-not because he was an absolute genius-but because he was a human being. Rest in peace Steve Jobs. It is sad, but the show must go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment